Energy Saving Tips
Become a Spring Power & Gas Customer Today!
Receive complimentary membership to the Ecogold Loyalty Plan and gain either 5% in Ecogold Rewards or 3% Cash Back on your Spring Power & Gas supply costs as well as up to 30% off participating brands. Offer is available only for residential customers.Enroll Now
Fall & Winter Energy Saving Tips
- Keep an eye on your thermostat and consider adjusting the settings a few degrees. When you’re at home and awake, set your thermostat as low as is comfortable. When you’re asleep and out of the house, turn your thermostat back to 10-15 degrees for eight hours.
- Consider using a programmable thermostat to make it easy to set back your temperature.
- Open curtains on your south- and west-facing windows during the day to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home and close them at night to reduce chill you may feel from cold windows.
- Resist using space heaters as central heating systems are far more efficient.
- Turn down the temperature of your water heater to the warm setting (120 degrees).
- Consider switching to alternative heating and electricity, such as geothermal or solar heating systems.
- Check your automated lighting systems and timers for proper operation.
- Replace your furnace filter once a month or as needed.
- If you’re considering replacing your furnace, invest in one that’s rated 90% or higher in efficiency.
- For wood-and pellet-burning haters, clean the flue vent regularly and clean the inside of the appliance with a wire brush periodically to ensure your home is heated efficiently.
- Keep your fireplace damper closed unless there is a fire burning.
- Use the warm and cold water setting on your washer, which uses significantly less energy than hot water.
- Turn off electronics and unplug battery chargers when not in use.
- Seal leaks around doors and windows to avoid heated air escaping.
- Schedule a home energy audit.
- Use a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet on a frame or tape clear plastic film to the inside of the window frame.
- Install tight-fitting insulating drapes on windows that feel drafty.
- Use LED holiday light strings to reduce the cost of decorating your home for the holidays.
- If you never use your fireplace, plug and seal the chimney flue.
- If you do use your fireplace, install tempered glass doors and a heat-air exchange system that blows warmed air back into the room and add caulking around the fireplace hearth.
- Replace old windows with high-performance windows that have a low U-value, low solar heat gain co-efficiency and an air leakage rating of 0.3 cubic feet per minute or less.
- Insulate your hot water pipes to prevent heat loss and lower your water heater setting.
- Remove window air conditioners.
- Install foam gaskets behind electrical outlets and switches or install plastic security caps to reduce heat loss.